Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent

Several years ago I participated in my first lent. Being completely honest, I haven't done any study on it or really know the biblical basis of it. Probably something I should educate myself on as a Christian, even more so as a participant. Either way, I've enjoyed these 40 days stints over the last few years. One year I gave up Myspace (I know, like so 2006, right?!), another year I gave up tv (although I did start a week late and carry it an extra week at the end. I mean come on...lent ALWAYS starts the week before the Bachelor finale. Psht.), another year I did coffee....and I think there was one other thing, don't remember. What I've found is that I am led to cut out the thing that consumes my time the most. The things of the world that aren't necessarily sinful, but do distract me from those quite moments when I could be meeting with the Lord. Our world has become SO busy. Our minds are filled all the time. Instant news updates, texting, cell phones, blogs, and yes....Facebook. Imagine the time our minds could just be silent and let God speak to us. One of my biggest struggles is to follow the scripture, "Be still and know that I am God." Its not that I don't trust Him, its more that my mind is CONSTANTLY going. I cant turn it off. Its exhausting. I decided that I really need to be more mindful of giving my mind opportunity to be still. One of the biggest things that consumes my mind's "down time" is Facebook. Mainly, the app on my phone. I rarely ever get on Facebook on the computer, mostly because I have the app on my phone. I started to realize that I would click onto that app all day long! Every time I sat down to feed Lydia, Id get right onto FB. Or waiting in line somewhere, on FB. It had become such a habit it was ridiculous!

So, for lent this year Im not totally giving up Facebook (I've got my photography business on there and several friends expecting babies soon so I didn't feel the need to cut it out completely, just the element that was really taking up those still moments.) As hard as it is to cut those things out and feel disconnected, the feeling is so freeing to not have that constant newsfeed filtering into my head. People these days are more busy, more stressed, feel less confident, and I honestly think FB has a lot to do with that. It does have some great benefits too, obviously, but for now......Im cutting back big time.

What are you giving up for Lent? Anything?

No comments: