Both of my kids loved to be swaddled. Landon wouldn't sleep without his swaddle until 8 months, at which point we "broke" him of it. I remember reading up on methods for weeks (like with all things on your first child.) I started at naptime, listened to him scream through the whole nap. Because I had him on a schedule I had to get him up and feed him and stretch him to the next nap. It was miserable. Come night time...same sort of deal. It was only like 2 days and then he was totally fine, but it was a rough two days.
Then there is Lydia. Lydia, too, loves to be swaddled. Wont sleep without it. With her, I really like that she's swaddled because the poor sweetheart has really bad eczema on her forehead and itches at it soooo hard she scratches herself all the time (yes I clip her nails). So, I just knew that if she wasn't swaddled she would scratch herself and wake up....the thought of it just sounded awful. Especially considering my magic baby has slept through the night since 2 weeks old so I haven't been acclimated to the midnight wake ups at all!
At her 6 month appointment I asked my pediatrician at what point should she NOT be swaddled to which he replied that she needed to be out of it if she could roll herself over (because then she couldn't get back over and it would not be good). I relaxed a little because once I had her swaddled, she didn't move. I knew I had a little while to build up the energy to take on the unsaddling process. Until last night....
I stayed up a little later than usual (uh hem...watching The Bachelor, Girls Tell All) and then reading for a bit. I got up to bed at about 11:30 and looked at Lydia on the monitor (um HELLO....not sure how we survived without the video monitor with Landon. They are amazing). Anyhoo, Lydy Ly was thrusting herself back and forth, nearly flipping over. My heavy eye lids stared at the monitor knowing what I needed to do but SO not mentally prepared to do it. Alas, I went into her room, crawled across the floor, reached up under the bumper and un-did her swaddle. She instantly woke up...fussed for a few minutes....then wide awake just laid there chewing on her hands and chatting. An hour and a half went by of me staring at her monitor before she fell asleep, and so did I.
I couldn't believe it....she ACTUALLY slept till morning. What?!?! Are you kidding me? She went right to sleep for her naps today too! Im literally in shock at how easy this was. This girl had not given us a single obstacle since she was born. I feel so blessed (as well as nervous that this magical baby is seriously going to bite me in the butt during her teenage years).
Here she is sleeping like a champ:) I still swaddled her bottom half...baby steps.
2 comments:
2 posts its my lucky day! Again with the similarity...we swaddled zoey for what seemed like forever...9 or 10 months. She needed the secure feeling of it and slept wonderfully for us so why mess with what works :) I understand you hesitation to not want to break it... YAY for her being easy as pie!
You deserve her to break of that one easy, I remember when you were going through that with landon!!
Post a Comment